Oroquieta City is located on the northeastern coast of Misamis Occidental.
It is bounded on the north by the towns of Lopez Jaena and Calamba, on the east by Iligan Bay, on the south by Aloran
town, and on the west by Calamba town. It has an area of 237.9 square kilometers. Terrain is characterized by a broad coastal plain which gently rises into rolling hills
and mountains towards the interior. Layawan River traverse the city flowing from the foothills of Mount Malindang in the
southwest and empties into Iligan Bay.
The city is accessible by air via Ozamis airport which is 45 minutes drive by
bus or via Dipolog Airport which is an hour and a half drive away. The city can also be
reached by sea transportation through Ozamis Port or through the port of Plaridel town.
Majority of the people are migrants from the provinces of Cebu and Bohol.
Other migrants are Ilonggos, Tagalogs, and Ilocanos.
Farming and fishing are the main economic activities except in the city center where wholesale and retail trading
are the dominant activities. Rice, corn and coconut are the chief farm products although poultry and hog raising are also
important source of income.
Being the capital of Misamis Occidental and a coastal city, Oroquieta has a good prospect of steady
economic growth. Entreprenuers can invest in the following businesses:
- Cold storage facilities especially for the fishing industry
- seaweed growing and processing
- Cut flower and ornamental plants
- production of high value commercial crops like malungay, mushroom, vegetables
- Rubber processing
- Halal foods for export
- commercial poultry and hog raising
- production of dairy products
- food processing such as meat packing, curing, and canning
- fish canning, bottling, and deboning
- Oleochemical products
- furniture and fixture
- Consumer goods such as processed foods, apparel
- jewelry especially pearls
- Mass housing projects
- medium-size commercial complexes
- hotels, resorts and amusement parks
- demonstration farms
- food establishments
Places of Interest / Tourist Attractions in Oroquieta City
- Little Luneta Plaza
- Libadatama Dam
- Provincial Capitol Building
- Sibucal Hot Spring
- Pastrano Hanging Foot Bridge
Back to top