Eastern Samar is a province in the Philippines that occupies the area in
Samar Island that is exposed to the Philippine Sea. Its neighbors are Northern Samar and
Western Samar. The southern part of the province is mostly hilly with some coastal plains while the northern part is mostly
plain with some hills. Climate is under Type II wherein there is no dry season with a very promounced maximum rainfall from November to January.
It is the easternmost province under the typhoon belt.
Eastern Samar Provincial Capitol
The people of Eastern Samar are mostly Waray-Warays with few migrants from other provinces. One of the most
popular festivals in the province is the Karayapan Festival in Guiuan town. It is held in thanksgiving to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the patroness of
the town. It features street dancing, trade fair, and beauty pageant.
Noted Personalities from Eastern Samar
Economic Profile, Products, and Industries
- Antonio Nachura - Justice of the Supreme Court, Congressman, Constitutionalist
- K Brosas - Singer, Actress
Farming and fishing are the main economic activities. Agricultural production in 2007 are as follows (figure in thousand metric tons, rank among 79 provinces)
Animal inventory of Eastern Samar in 2007 are as follows (figure in thousand, rank among 79 provinces)
Other farm products include abaca, sweet potato, and cassava. As of 2007, there were 9 banks operating
in the province with total deposits of 1.28 billion pesos.
Poverty incidence stood at 51.9% in 2006, very high compared to the national average of 32.9%.
The natural beauty of Eastern Samar is slowly being discovered. It would do well to invest in tourism-related
ventures like hotels and resorts to cater to the needs of tourists. Bamboo plantation and the commercial production of rootcrops
and processing them right in the province would provide alternative sources of income for the people. Likewise, the establishment
of a processing center for abaca and an oleochemical plant to process its coconut output would hasten the industrialization of the
province thereby lifting many people out of poverty.
See List of Eastern Samar Municipalities
Places of Interest/ tourist spots in Eastern Samar
- Calicoan Island - a showcase resort island off Guiuan Town, rivals Boracay in its beauty
- Navy 3149 - a former American base during World War II, lcated in Guiuan town
- Church of the Immaculate Concepcion also in Guiuan, built in the 16th century
- Homonhon Island - said to be the first landing site of Magellan's fleet
- Balangiga - site of an infamous massacre during the Philippine-American War
- Sulangan Beach - home of golden cowries
- Suribao Caves
- Ngolos Beach - also good site for surfing
Capitol photo credit to panoramio.com
Back to top