El Salvador City is located on the central coast of Northern Mindanao specifically on
the coast of Misamis Oriental facing Macajalar Bay. It is bounded on the east by the town of Opol, on the south by the towns of Naawan and Manticao, and on
the west by Alubijid town. Situated 18 kilometers west of Cagayan De Oro City, it composed of 15 barangays.
The city is home to the popular Divine Mercy Shrine which makes the city a pilgrimage site.
Farming and fishing are the major sources of income among the rural residents. Rice, corn, coconut, peanut,
banana, mango and cashew are the agricultural products. Livestock and poultry are also produced. Aside from fishing in the sea, there are also several fishponds in the city.
Some industries operating in El Salvador are softdrinks bottling plants, wood processing, and food manufacturing.
The proximity of El Salvador to Cagayan De Oro and Laguindingan, soon to be the home of an international airport, makes it
imperative for investors consider it as an alternative investment site. The following enterprises have good prospect:
- Cold storage facilities especially for the fishing industry
- food processing such as meat packing, curing, and canning
- fish canning, bottling, and deboning
- seaweed growing and processing
- Cut flower and ornamental plants
- production of high value commercial crops like malungay, mushroom, vegetables
- Rubber processing
- Halal foods for export
- commercial poultry and hog raising
- production of dairy products
- Oleochemical products
- furniture and fixture
- Consumer goods such as processed foods, apparel
- jewelry especially pearls
- Mass housing projects
- medium-size commercial complexes
- hotels, resorts and amusement parks
- demonstration farms
- food establishments
Places of Interest/ Tourist Spots in El Salvador
- El Salvador Catholic Church
- Divine Mercy Shrine - one of the tallest in the world
Back to top