With a land area covering 2,443.6 square kilometers, Davao City is the largest city in the Phillipines
in terms of land area. Its area is larger than at least 25 provinces in the country and larger than the areas of New York and
London combined. It is also the largest city outside Metro Manila in terms of population and the principal gateway
to Mindanao Island. (see comparison) Located at the southeastern coast of Mindanao facing Davao Gulf, Davao City lies outside the typhoon belt.
Its harbor is one of the finest in the country being protected by Samal Island.
Davao city is famous for the things associated with it: Durian (exotic fruit), Mount Apo (country's highest peak),
Waling-Waling Orcid, and the Philippine Eagle. It is equally famous for Kadayawan Festival which is held during August each year.
This festival is a weeklong celebration featuring colorful tribal parade and cultural presentations.
Although Davao is a highly urbanized city with 3 legislative districts, agriculture contributes a large share
in the city's economy. In fact, Davao's export are mostly agricultural products such as banana, papaya, mango, durian,
pomelo, and coconut. Manufacturing plays a minor role. Products manufactured in the city include coconut oil, biofuel, packaging materials, and processed food.
Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) is booming in this city. Already some 4,000 people are employed in various
call centers. To get a piece of the BPO action, Robinson's and the Ayala group are putting up IT buildings in addition to the
usual malls. The city is the country's gateway to Brunei-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East Asia Growth Area or simply BIMP-EAGA.
As the Educational Center of Mindanao, Davao City is home to 5 Universities and 38 colleges.
Famous shopping centers include homegrown Aldevinco Shopping Center, Victoria Plaza Mall, NCCC Mall, University Mall,
and LTS Supermarket. SM Malls and Gaisano Malls have put up branches in the city.
Famous People from Davao City
- Lanang Golf and Country Club - an 18-hole golf course
- Apo Golf and Country Club - another 18-hole golf course
- Davao City Golf Club
- Davao Matina Gallera Sports Complex
- Bunker Hill Room and KTV
- Vista Restaurant and Piano Bar
- Korrokan KTV
Places of Interest/ Tourist Attractions in Davao City
- Prospero Nograles - Speaker of the House of Representatives (2008-2010), Congressman
- Bangs Garcia - Movie and television actress
- Sharmaine Arnaiz - Movie and television actress
- Mount Apo - the country's tallest mountain at 2,958 meters high, has been declared a national park
- Philippine Eagle Research and Nature Center - home of "Pag-asa", the first eagle to be born in captivity
- Dabaw Museum
- Malagos Garden Resort in Calinan
- Greenhills Orchid Farm - in Catalunan Pequeno
- Puentespina Orchid Garden in Agdao
- Sta. Ana Wharf
- Magsaysay Park
- People's Park
- Eden Nature Park
- Osmena Park
- Times Beach
- Coaco Beach
- Shrine of Infant Jesus
View of Davao City (credit to http://www.dabawpinoy.com)
(Courtesy of Lourdes Chuccar-Liyoc)
People's park (Courtesy of Lourdes Chuccar-Liyoc)
Back to top