Bohol is an island province of the Philippines located in Central Visayas
Region, specifically south of Cebu Island. It can be reached by air via the airport of
Tagbilaran City or by sea through the seaport of the same city. Topography consists of
hills in the interior part of the province but wide flat lands can be found in the east and west coast. It has
several short rivers. Rainfall is evenly distributed through out the year.
Bohol Provincial Capitol
The people of Bohol are called Boholanos.
Economic Profile, People, and Industries
- Carlos P. Garcia - 8th President of the Philippines
- Napoleon Abueva - 1976 National Artist for Sculpture
- Nonito Donaire - Boxer from the municipality of Talibon
- Luke Mejares - Band Member, Singer
- Yoyoy Villame - popular singer from Calape
- Rich Asuncion - Movie and television actress, Beauty Queen
- Simeon Toribio - famous pre-war olympian athlete who later became a congressman
Farming and fishing are the main economic acticities of the people.
Agricultural production of Bohol in 2007 are as follows (figure in thousand metric tons, rank among 79 provinces)
Animal inventory of Bohol in 2007 are as follows (figure in thousand, rank among 79 provinces)
Manufacturing in the province consists of rice and corn milling and cottage industries producing handicrafts.
In 2007, 58 banks were operating in the province with total deposits of 11.8 billion pesos. Poverty incidence stood at 46.9%,
well above the national average of 32.9%.
Bohol has the potential to become a world-class tourist destination. Facilities such as hotels, golf courses and shopping centers
are needed. Demonstration farms, theme parks, and medical facilities have good potential for investment. For agribusiness, the production and processing of
high value commercial crops especially cutflower and ornamental plants are recommended. Raising of rabbits, turkey, goats, and cattle can be profitable ventures in Bohol.
List of Bohol Municipalities and city
Places of Interest/ Tourist Spots in Bohol Province
- Chocolate Hills in Carmen town, declared as a National Geological Monument
- Panglao Island - several beaches, a cave, and a centuries old church are found here
- Balicasag and Pamilacan Islands - diving sites
- Blood Compact Site in Bool
- Loboc River
- Tarsier Visitors Center - in Corella, home of the world's smallest primate with oversize eyes
- Punta Cruz watchtower - in Maribojoc
Capitol photo credit to heritageconservation.wordpress.com
Back to top