Bayugan is located on the northeast part of Agusan Del Sur. It is bounded on the north by
the town of Sibagat, on the east by Surigao Del Sur, on the south by the towns of Prosperidad
and Esperanza, and on the west by Agusan Del Norte. Terrain is characterized by flat land
on the western side and high mountains on the eastern side. These mountains are part of the Diwata mountain range that
stretch from southern Surigao del Norte southward to Davao Oriental.
Being a landlocked locality, Bayugan has no seaport. There is also no airport so the only way to reach the town
is by land transportation. Bayugan is situated along the Maharlika Highway, also called the Philippine-Japan Friendship
Highway, and is accessible from Butuan City in the north or from Davao City
in the south. There is also a secondary road that connects the city eastward to Tandag, the capital of Surigao Del Sur.
The original settlers in this town were migrants from Cebu that is why majority of the people speak Cebuano.
Tribal communities include the Manobos, Banwaon, and Higaonons. The city celebrates the Kahimunan Festival.
Agriculture is the main economic activity except in the city center where wholesale and retail trading dominates. Rice, corn,
and coconut are main farm products. Tourism is yet to be developed.
Sitting on a flat land amidst a wide expanse of agricultural fields coupled with its proximity to the markets
of the nearby four provinces, Bayugan is an ideal location for varied businesses ranging from small to large enterprises. It is a good
location for a provincial or regional branch. Investing in real estate business maybe a good deal particularly medium-size sudivisions,
commercial complexes, and an industrial zone. Tourism-related ventures such as hotel and golf course are a good bet considering its
proximity to the tourism spots of nearby provinces.
The following micro and small businesses are suggested:
- Intensive farming to produce vegetables for the city and nearby towns
- Commercial seed production and demonstration farm
- Commercial poultry and hog raising
- making glutinous rice powder
- Meat processing to produce hotdog, longganiza, tocino, ham, etc.
- Production of vinegar, soy sauce, patis, mayonnaise, catsup, fruit juice, and peanut butter
- Essential oil and perfumes
- Herbal supplements, malunggay powder, and squash flour
- Soap and personal care such as lotion, shampoo, and facial creams
The following medium to large enterprises are recommended considering the raw materials available and their
domestic as well as export market potential:
- Feed milling and agro-chemicals such as fertilizer
- Production of corn and cassawa starch
- Dairy farming and processing
- Sweet corn Canning
- Furniture and home decors using modern design techniques
- Footwear and fashion accessories
- Textile and clothing like knitted fabrics and artifacts
- Meat packing and canning
- Cold storage plant
- Metal foundry
- Farm implements
Places of Interest/ Tourist spots in Bayugan City
- Maygatasan Hanging Bridge
Photos credit to skyscrapercity.com