Batanes is located at the northern tip of the Philippines. A group of small islands,
it is the smallest province both in land area and in population (see comparison of provinces).
Its terrain consists of rolling hills and mountains. Travellers like to
call the islands Little Hawaii due to its spectacular landscapes.
Batanes Provincial Capitol
The people of Batanes are mostly Ivatans and Ilocano migrants from the Ilocos and
Cagayan Valley Regions. Their houses are made of bricks and
stones designed to withstand typhoons that visit the province several times a year.
Interestingly, the province has zero poverty incidence in 2006.
Batanes Province is composed of 6 municipalities namely:
Batanes Province needs investors who can put up tourist facilities.
Places of Interest/ tourist spots in Batanes
- Sto. Domingo Church - in the capital of Basco, a limestone structure built in 1812.
- San Jose Church in Ivana
- Mt. Iraya - a dormant volcano
- Songsong Bay - a perfect place to watch beautiful sunset
- Chavayan Beach in Sabtang
- Siayan Island Beaches
- Caves in Itbayat
- Radar Tukon - an old US weather Station
- Batanes State College
- Saint Dominic College of Batanes
Capitol photo credit to biyahero.net
Back to top